Spring wildlife gardening and pond updates :)

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Cheers for putting my mind at rest guys, do you's think i should keep putting the feed in say once or twice a week and scoop it out if it's not been eaten the next day...

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,184

.PG..........if your fish don't eat the food you put in within an hour....they don't need it.

Un eaten fish food will only sink and help contaminate your pond image 

• hartleyharehartleyhare Posts: 81

My Belfast sink pond is now set up. I was able to fill it with  it with rainwater. So far I have one marginal in pot ( water mint ), several oxygenators planted into sand and several floating plants. I've noticed that the water looks ' slimy ' as if its gone stagnant already. I could take some water out and refill with fresh but don't have enough clean rainwater stored so would have to use tap. What would be the best thing to do ?

I did see a small black insect crawling about underwater in there, so hopeful more  wildlife will come image 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,018

Balance is achieved in time hh. If you take water out and put new in you'll be taking a step back

So should I just leave it alone then?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,018

I wouldn't change the water, you could try the barley straw thing. I've never used it but other people say it works

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

I've got barley straw in my pond, early days, but seems to be doing the trick, the main test will be the summer...

Cheers Philippa, i do scoop the pellets out if they are not eaten, just wished they would hurry up and eat, it was bogof on the feed pellets, think we have a lifetimes supply... image

• JodeJayJodeJay Posts: 73
    Hey guys,

Sorry for late reply, been a manic week with work and interviews.

Im enjoying reading reading all of our updates. I have newt and now slow worm envy! Lol

I noticed today that my pond is overrun with duckweed again but the barley straw seems to be stopping the blanket weed which is good.

Good news on the wasp nest front- the rain seems to have put a stop to their underground building. Fingers crossed they don't return! It is very damp now by the pond so maybe they don't like getting their feet wet!

How does this barley straw work ? I tried it in my pond down south and didn't notice any change. I had blanket weed in that pond and have it in my raised pond up here.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,022

I use the barley straw extract - it cleared our pond of blanket weed in a few hours and it's stayed clear so far.  

And I'm VERY EXCITED!!!

Laying down to gaze into the pond (as is my wont on a sunny afternoon) I heard a Plop!  and there amongst the Brooklime was a lovely frog image 

and then, as I was sitting gazing at him something else in the water caught my eye, and swimming along in the shallows was a Smooth Newt image 

Two amphibians have moved into our new pond on the same day - we shall celebrate with a bottle of something white and chilled this evening image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh