Forum home Plants

Trillium in pots

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Has anyone tried to grow trilliums in pots? I am thinking of buying some bare root plants (delivery September). I have a cottage style garden and no real area where I could plant them and cosset them until they were a decent size so would be putting them in pots for the first few years. Will that work?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• PoddingtonPPoddingtonP Posts: 196

I got some trillium rhizomes last autumn but like you had nowhere to put them. I did some reading which all said that they don't like pots. I had no other choice, so have had them in pots over the winter, and planted them out this spring. They have survived the winter in pots and have now grown their first leaves. Think it will be a while before flowering though.  So yes, they will survive short term in pots but I don't know about years. 

They are woodland plants so like lots of humus, and damp leaf mould.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

I bought one last year, a dark red one and I put it in a large pot with a mix of leafmould and compost and it's about 8" tall now, or something is, I'm assuming it's my trillium. It's been sat under the viburnum in quite heavy shade. I will probably put it into the ground soon having read that they don't like pots, I don't want to push my luck.