what paint can I use outside - cheap and cheerful

I'm making a wee area in my garden for the kids. The patio is down, rubber matting ordered, and I'm going to do I picket fence idea round about it. I'd like to paint the fence really sugary sweet pinks and blue and white. The external cuprinols come in lovely colours but a horribly expensive. Could I use something else like masonry paint? Exterior paints? I don't expect this patio area to last the kids a lifetime, so don't expect the fence paint to last for years either. I know Masonry or door paint might not last as long as cuprinols, but I really wouldn't mind having to redo the job every year. What do you think?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,728

I think that using the wrong paint for the wrong job will just be a nightmare in the long run. Masonry paint is much thinner and has less coverage than the ones designed for wood.

Would it not be possible to ask on Freegle to see if anyone has some left over  Cuprinol paints? 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Why not see if Homebase / B&Q / Wilkos do an exterior own brand wood paint to suit your budget? You might not get the exact colour you want but its a possibility.

How much Paint do you actually need? The smaller pots don't seem that expensive. http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/cuprinol-garden-shades---sweet-sundae---1l-179727
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,488

We used the Cuprinol Shades on our fence - the coverage was great and a little went a long way. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,144

If you use a decent primer and undercoat, then an exterior gloss should do the job..........tho I'm not sure you would find the colours you want..........most places do a "mixing" service so might be worth looking into.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,488

But that would be three coats - Cuprinol will only need one. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

If it is a brand new wood fence the cheapest stain option is to buy a large 3 litre of vinegar and rub that on to the wood. Overnight it will turn dark. Cost £3 and elbow grease?

The external cuprinols can be bought cheaper in B&M and Wipro, esp towards autumn.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Wilkinsons are about half the price of Cuprinol; just about to use their 'Buttermilk' on some staging around the house to make it blend in with the background. I think 2 coats are recommended, but you could get away with 1 on pressure treated timber if the life of the unit is only about 4/5 years. With ordinary timber, it will rot where it touches the earth and no treatment will stop that. Even the treated timber will not be happy in damp soil after 3 or 4 years.image

Perhaps I misunderstood........thought the OP was looking for sugary pinks and blues......I don't think Cuprinol do thatimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Nat 4, As a mural painter who has done lots of children's murals, I would question whether children actually like very 'sugary' colours; in my experience, they like really strong colour combinations; not pastels. They also appreciate quite subtle colours. I have never met a child under 5 who likes pastels (when I can talk to them without their parents being present)

AJ............I was going off the OP's requirements but I agree wholeheartedly (altho I'm a wee bit older than 5 image )

Vibrant interesting colours and subtle changes seem to me much more appealing for children..................it is only old fogeys who really go for the Pastels.............and for selling a house image 

I am an old Fogey but like really sharp colours tooimage