Cuttings

artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I am a newcomer to cuttings; have used this process pretty successfully to propagate for the flooded gardens appeal. But now I need advice. I want to dig up my massive, but delicious, Lovage to make space for Globe artichokes. I want to plant lovage in a big pot; how can I take cuttings from the existing plant?

Also, lovely tree peony has to go to make way for more veg; can I take cuttings of this, I have heard it takes up to 2 years for seeds to germinateimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Someone surely out there can give me advice? (Desperate from Norfolk) image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,252

Ignorant from Cambridgeshire here artjakimage

Can lovage root be separated up?

I hope someone come up with an answer to the tree paeony, I have one that doesn't come true from seed. it suckers but I've never kept a sucker alive. A cutting seems to be the answer

Nut, image thank you for replying, I guess when I haul this massive thing out of the ground (Lovage) I can hack off a bit of root. The other prob is the tree peony; any ideas anyone?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,775

Hi image    I've grown lovage in several gardens - you can split that huge great root vertically and replant - but I'm not sure how it'll take to being in a pot - and I've had lots of self-sown seedlings all over the place.  

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Fresh paeony seed (your own) usually comes in one year for me artjak. Only the bought ones sometimes take 2.

What is happening with the established one?

Dove, I read recently that they do well in big pots. Any advice for the tree peony? ( Desperate from Norfolk?) I always invite the neighbours round for a drink in the 2 weeks that the peony is in flower as it is so spectacular. I sort of have to have it somewhere in the gardenimage

You must keep it somehow artjak, Can you grow the veg round it?

Noooo, I need the space for veg, and the plant is about 10 years old, split at the base and getting a bit big for it's boots (roots?)image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,775

I think it would have to be a BIG POT given the size mine have always reached.  I've given up on growing it now as it always outgrows it's spot, no matter how big a spot I give it.  

I've never grown a tree peony, but we have aspirations - Nut gave us some seeds and they're in a pot outside in a quite corner ............................... 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !