Forum home Plants

Lord Anson Perennial Sweep peas

There seems to be a difference of opinion between plant suppliers. Thompson and Morgan say Lord Andon's are scentless : Suttons say "deliciously fragrant" Question: Are Lord Anson perenniel sweet peas scented or not?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Perennial sweet peas are rarely scented.  Is this variety an exception?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,110

Like you W onion............I've never come across a scented perennial Sweetpea..........be interested to know if anyone has one/has grown one as I'd like one tooimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,816

I've never yet been convinced that Suttons adverts or the blurb on their packets are written by gardeners image

I've never known a perennial sweet pea with any scent and I've been around quite a long time image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Dove, not that long surelyimage I remember pterodactyls flying over Hyde Park! But I agree about the perennial sweet pea; awkward little bu....r that never really took off and certainly had negligable scent.

They can look pretty weaving in and out of an old picket fence around a cottage veg patch -in that sort of situation they look after themselves year after year -  but unless I'd got that sort of garden I wouldn't grow it.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I've just done some googling, Lord Anson's Pea is Lathyrus nervosus rather than Lathyrus  latifolius - the usual perennial sweet pea.

Apparently Lord Anson's Pea is a bit special and scented.  However, it does seem to be a bit tricky to grow http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3303338/How-to-grow-the-everlasting-pea.html 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,731

I tried nervosus a few years ago and agree with what it says in Dove's link.  I found it a weak grower - it then died on me just as it started to look as though it was doing ok. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.