Forum home Plants

verbena bonariensis

Grew verbena bonariensis last year for the first time and there are loads of seedlings coming up, very overcrowded. If I just leave them to fight it out ie survival of the fittest, will I end up with any new plants?  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,037

If there's a lot I'd thin them out and just leave the ones that are in suitable places. You could pot up a few of the ones you take out and grow them on for popping into spaces later or to give away if you want. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• You have done well Terri, verbena bonariensis are a fickle germinator. Good for you!image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I'm with the ladies. Save the lot and thank your lucky stars. On a slight " aside" I bought some V B  and , methinks, the label machine was on spell check because they were labelled Verbena Buenos Aires .

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I've got some tiny purple pompoms which I liked initially, something different, but now I've gone off them, a bit stunted looking and scrunched up

• Thanks for replies.  Was a bit worried about moving seedlings in case the root disturbance killed them off, but will give it a go.

I'm amazed they've just come up on their own. I had no luck when I sowed seeds, used heated propagator, fussed over them etc. So  gave up and bought  large container grown plants last year and they've had babies without any help from me at all image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Mother Nature is the best propagator.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Certainly is Hostafan. All I need to do is move some if they don't appear in the right placeimage