Forum home Plants

A Few Questions....

Hello all... just a few quick questions for now..

1 - does tomato food 'go off'? i have a big bottle, half full, but its probably 2 years since it was used. I was going to use it for my strawberries / flowers, but is it safe to use it after this time, and if so, will it still have its magic?

2 - morning glories... guilty as charged for planting them way too early - they were taking over my windowsills & so i have had to plant them up. ive been hardening them off, but I accidently left the big planter outside overnight on what happened to be a cold and windy night, and now a lot of the lower leaves are kind of wilted on the edges )cant add a pic from phone) the higher new growth looks good, they are still growing and climbing, but have i done permanent damage?

3 - Feeding. I have a lot of seed sown flowering annuals coming up, nothings in flower yet obviously, but when should i start feeding them?

Thanks in advance!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,028

Hi Logan

1 - depends. If it's organic then it'll go off quicker than a non-organic fert. If it's 2yrs old it should be ok. But if it's been outside in very hot/cold temps, then it may be past its best. Remember - don't feed the toms until the first baby toms have formed on the truss.

2. I started off my dahlia tubers way too early and they're about to flower!
    Your's are probably just a bit shocked and should recover in a few days.

3. No hurry. As with yr toms don't feed too early. Most ferts encourage flowers, not growth. At this time of year, generally you want to encourage growth, not flowers. I usually wait until buds are well formed before feeding a little. If you have good soil, then you don't really need to feed flowers unless they're in containers.

Good luck
    Pete

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

1) If the feed is organic (made from plant material) I would not use it. Tomorite inorganic give the bottle a good shake and use as normal I do and it works.

2) Far too early to put out Morning Glory, end of May June, keep and eye on it take off any bad leaves and hope.

3) Seed sown where? in trays pots in the ground? if in trays you do not feed you pot on which is why sowing little and often is the best way, they have to be potted on. Seed compost has no feed, the first move has very little feed and the final potting on has about half to two thirds compost. Feed when they are in the final position and settled not before.

4) Buy a yard or so of blanket from the Garden Centre and if it is going to be a cold night then wrap some round the outside plants and take it off next morning, we have short sharp frost in the Northeast to the end of May, like the Boy Scouts be prepared.

Frank.

• My tomato food was intended for my strawbs... Should have clarified that!

I'm bringing my MGs indoors at night but they are about a ft+ tall!

My seeds are sown direct in beds-- I worked the soil a lot, loads of new compost added, and added FBB too- will they not need fed again at all?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,028

Your ferts are prob ok. I'd get some Tomorite to give em the best chance.
    Just try and keep your MG's out of windy and chilly nights whilst letting them get as much light as poss.
    Yr seedbeds sound great as they are. Maybe some ferts a bit later in the flowering season to prolong flowering.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Annuals do not require much feeding.  Sounds like you are going for over-kill with them!

• trying not to overkill, but i have planted densely so dont want them to struggle.