Forum home Plants

Transplanting a rose

Morning everyone. I've been asked by a friend to dig up an old rose (at least 12 yrs old) as she's moving and for sentimental reasons wants to take it with her.

A moving date is fixed & with it being the growing season I can only see it's chances of survival as limited.

Obviously I'll take as much rootball as possible, but sho

uld I hard prune it now, would that help?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

• I think that much depends upon how long it will be out of the ground. I personally would try to avoid pruning it unless it was simply too big to move. Take as much rootball as you can without disturbing the roots too much and replant asap with plenty of water and fbb.  Good luck and bear in mind that moving an established rose is always a risk

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,222

If she has to have that exact rose and won't consider a copy from the GC, I would hard prune it and save the offcuts. Take cuttings from last year's growth and plant them at the new house. Remember that rose roots go down a long way. Be prepared for a tunnelling job.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..roses are tough as old boots...I've moved several during the growing season, even in full flush....not advised but sometimes you have to do these things...

..my advice would be to first of all, cut the rose right down to about 2 feet above ground level... dig the plant out, you're bound to cut off many of the roots and you will have to slice through the thickest with whatever tools you have...it'll take some time...

...you won't get much of a rootball, but don't worry about that... it'll look almost bare root as the soil drops away... pop it into a bucket of water for time being, but if the planting hole is already made then plant it straight away...puddling it in with bucket of water and every day for following 2 weeks throw a bucket of water on the plant... by which time it should start to show signs of life again...

...if you cannot plant it, because of moving...then you will need to pot up the plant in compost - you will need a big pot and lots of moist compost....and keep it well watered until you're ready to plant in new location.. when you see new signs of life, prune it back again to where the new growing points are...

edit:  oh I 've just noticed the rose is 12 years old..that's going to be a real toughie...I don't think I've ever moved one that old...but if you have to then follow the same procedure, as long as you get plenty of roots it'll survive......as others have said..if you know the variety would it not be better to buy another of the same plant..?

• Appreciate your feedback folks.

Salino - I'd told the owner she'd got about a 25 - 35% of it surviving. She's very sentimental as the rose has a history with her late husband.

At least she's aware of the situation.