What in earth can they be ??

My son as just moved into an 1930's house & I have been asked to help sort the rather tired looking garden. Several old rotting tree's a mass of holytree's in all shapes and sizes. The lawn is a lot of moss and the previous owner dug rather a lot of small ditches ???(I'm thinking French drains ?? But there's No gravel ,just ditches) plus they dont seem to go in any special direction some go 20ft others 50ft

Neighbours claim they have no trouble with holding water !!!

So any idea's


  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,259

    Could they be collapsed drains? My parents in the 1960s read an article that suggested making cheap land drains from old tin cans. Boy, did we eat a lot of beans that year. Anyway, they put them in and they worked, sort of, but I suppose they will have rotted long ago. Not a problem for them as they are now gardening with St Peter. And not a problem for anyome else if HS2 goes ahead. Their house will be demolished along with half the village.

    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DogbowlDogbowl Posts: 66

    Never thought or even heard of that as an option. Dont think many of the channels would be wide enough to take a tin can to be honest.

    I thought I might just back fill with gravel just in case the old guy never quite understood the French drain method. He was the only previous owner from new so at least I know it was down to him.

Sign In or Register to comment.