Carrots not germinating

2»

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Ditto with the non-performing carrot seed. Admittedly mine was older seed but the conditions on sowing were pretty good, I thought. Parsley (flat leaf) can be another hit and miss experience. I took the tip this year of soaking the seeds overnight or so before sowing under glass cover (in an old Belfast sink) and the outcome has been quite good. Tried to sow celery seeds -- in a propagator -- back in March without much success. Reused the compost outside and guess what's coming up weeks later?

• ninnin Posts: 186

Hi Greenfingeredsmoggy i think my problem may be slugs have noticed several chard and beetroot  stems only a few mm long with no leaves yesterday as well.

I have nematoaded the garden a week ago as we seemed to have day slugs in full sunbathing mode  in abundance ( which is weird) but have had so much rain since not holding my breath the nematoades will work now. But why would they totally ignore the parsnips and spring onions.

• ninnin Posts: 186

Another strange thing is I used up old expired parsnip seeds and these are germinating very well, so would of thought carotts would love the same ground.

2»