Forum home Talkback

Dahlias

TraceyA2TraceyA2 Posts: 116

I have recently moved and want to know if its too late to plant out dahlias?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Mine are still in pots tracey, I don't put them out till the end of May.

• TraceyA2TraceyA2 Posts: 116

Oh great its just Sarah Raven has some lovely ones in sale. 

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

Hi Tracey i have also just ordered some from Sarah Raven, it says they flower untill November so we should get some nice flowers this year image

• TraceyA2TraceyA2 Posts: 116

Which ones did you get?

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

Dark collection and butterfly collection she has so many nice ones it's hard to choose.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,160

You put dahlias out after the risk of there being a frost, so normally not until mid May. The tubers can be started earlier in pots in a greenhouse.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I hope mine are ok. I planted mine in my boarder during Easter weekend and still no sign of any life. How long will it take before they will show growth above ground.

I am new to gardening. Hence followed guideline on the packets.

in some of the packs there were some tubers were separated from the main. And I planted them on a shallow compost tray on a windowsil.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,360

preksha patel, the tubers which have separated will only develop if there's part, even a very small part, of stem attached to them.I over-winter around 200 in the garage and have recently moved them into an unheated polytunnel. I'd say about 2/3 have shoots. I don't pot them up until they've produced shoots. ( haven't got the room / time to do them earlier)

Devon.