Forum home Plants

Dying Rhododendron

GolfjunkyGolfjunky Posts: 5

most of the plant is dead but some has survived and is doing well. what has happened ? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,865

Mine looked like that when it was waterlogged. Is it in acid soil? Doesn't like alkali. Those aren't limestone chippings are they? They don't like limestone.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GolfjunkyGolfjunky Posts: 5

we moved into the house in may 2012 and it flowered both summers but this year the following has occurred. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041

Is the  bed it's  in saturated? Sometimes it can act like a soakaway and therefore it's just like sitting in a big container of water. Dig down a little and have a look. BL's right about the gravel too, but after the really wet winter I think it's more likely to be wet than anything. Rhodies like damp soil but like the majority of plants they don't want to sit in it permanently. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You won't be able to salvage that sorry to say, it's gone too far. You'd have to test the soil, and as busy has said they look like limestone and gravel chippings mixed up. What's it's position, where does it face?.

we live in south essex and the ground is quite clay based i think. with me verry little knowledge i think it drowned. 

its just off south facing so gets the brunt of the afternoon.evening sun. the one bit that has flowered seems to be doing really well. 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I was wondering if it was spray damage...anyone been spraying anything around there...? weedkiller..?   I don't think it's the chippings as the few leaves that are healthy show no sign of yellowing...also I wouldn't get rid of it completely.... I would dig it up and repot in ericaceous but clearing away the dead growth...as if you look to the healthy part of the plant, you can see new shoots appearing...  so there's a part of it that's still good I think....  too nice to discard just yet...

Only me spraying bug killer on nearby plants. the stones have been there for 2 years and for however long before we purchased the house. i have bought a large pot and some ericaceous soil ready to try and save it but wasnt sure if it was worth it. 

If i dig it up how far down should i cut it ?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The position isn't good, they prefer dappled shade and the soil is too heavy. You can either pot it or improve the position and soil, however, I'd scrape the bark on the affected branches before doing anything. If there is green underneath, you have a chance of saving it, if not it will take a good few years before you get a balanced frame work, if at all. If you want to try then go ahead it but I still think it's too late, you can try to layer it to get a new plant, that may be the best option.