Forum home Plants

Rose pruning

Hi everyone.  A relative has a climbing rose (we assume & not a rambler) that hasn't flowered for about 5 years until this year.

The flowers have appeared on growth high up the 'main stem' on laterals of only about 4 nodes. However, other lateral growth next to the flowering stems have between 8-10 nodes which show no sign of flowers.

I appreciate this is a complicated area with all the different types of roses etc, but any simple explanation/advice on how we can prune it to get consistent flowering would be much appreciated.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this looks to me like the rambler 'Goldfinch'...which is a multiflora type, typical for early flowering and mostly thornless.... it flowers only once during the year, May/June... and I wonder if what is happening here is that someone is pruning back the growths later in the year, which means they are cutting off next year's flowering wood.....which would explain why it hasn't flowered for 5 years...

.... it flowers on stems that it has made during the previous year...any pruning or cutting back should only be done immediately after flowering...then cut out the stems that have flowered [not many here].... and tie in all the others to supports, preferably allowing some long shoots to flow downwards which increases flowering on those stems... or horizontally....

....if those lovely yellow flowers quickly fade to a creamy white, then it's 'Goldfinch'... they also have a nice scent I believe...

• Thanks for taking the time to reply Salino, much appreciated.

I'll be passing on your comments accordingly.

..yes you could be right there actually.... good call.. I think...however the pruning is just as important for this one... more so... as it doesn't flower well until the wood is 2 or 3 years old... so minimal pruning....

..well, it's worked for you however you've done it.. but if it was mine, whichever rose that is... I would tie in the branches already there, tidying it up that way, but keeping the framework that I've got... as it hasn't flowered for 5 years, I would expect a good show next season... I'd be very reluctant to prune any further this year... personally....

• Thanks one & all for your contributions.

Just goes to show with differing opinions, one man's poison...............

Have a good weekend everybody.  image