Forum home Talkback

disappointing aquilegias

I have quite a few aquilegias in my garden, and they are all in flower at the moment (early May).  The trouble is, there are so many flower heads, which are very wilting in appearance, that I know they are not normal.  Has anyone else experienced this this year?  I just know the flowers are not as large as usual.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,406

Can you post a picture for us so we can see what you mean?  

To post a picture on here you click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions.  I'm told it doesn't work for phones or tablets. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ightenighten Posts: 184

You do need to keep replenishing the old stock of aquilegias each year as they will revert  back.. I used to have a system of a cpl of new ones in each year and pull a couple out.

Though I even have a cpl of alpine varieties this year which have reverted straight away on the new growth

• I think it is probably the age of them, as I have had them for quite a long time.  I didn't realise this was likely to happen.  Thank you for your replies.

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Olive - my aquilegias have also produced a large number of blooms this year compared to previous years.  At the moment the heads look the same as last year and before etc.  I've never pulled any out and had also been wondering if the number of blooms means that they will start losing ground from this year.

I suppose it means I ought to think about replenishing.  Picture is this week.  The 'Nora Barlow' and 'Black Barlow' which are newer and at the back of these ones only have very tall stems and are beginning to bud at the moment.  My 'Wm. Guinness' (if that's the correct name) was planted a couple of years ago and has never come to anything at all.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Ah interesting. My aquileageas are at about the same stage as usual but the flowers are small and a dull deep purple whereas before larger, brighter and various colours. It makes absolute sense to me that they have reverted back.
  • Thank you all.  We are all learning all the time.  that's one of the good things with gardening, I always feel ... there's always something new.

• My one (thats in a pot) has just started to produce buds - I planted it from seed last year so I'll be well chuffed if any bloom at all. 

Best of luck with yours Thomas.  I've never had the courage to try them from seed but must try sometime. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,565

They're really easy from seed yarrowimage

You can either sow them fresh, they germinate very quickly. Or outside in autumn which is what I used to do. Or in a cold GH in midwinter which is what I do now. They germinate in spring.

Touchwood is good for a wide variety of colours and  species 

Thanks nutcutlet.  That's very encouraging so I really ought to try it.  Will investigate.