Forum home Fruit & veg

New Plum and Pear trees

I have just bought a new plum tree and also a pear tree when should they be pruned?  I don't expect I will get fruit this year but hopefully next year

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

If they're new trees they shouldn't need pruning this year. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ShellshockShellshock Posts: 4

As they are new trees they should not be pruned the first year, have a care when you do decide to prune, autumn for the  pear, mid summer for the plum. Prune only to control the growth and removal of damaged or dead wood.

The plum will not usually fruit until it is 5 years old, the pear in its second year if there is a compatible pollinator in the near locality, else plant a second tree. If it appears that the pear is producing fruit, remove them for the first year to allow the tree to settle in its new location.

Good luck I've just planted my first self pollinating pear tree and am awaiting to see the results. image 

• Was going to buy a plum tree, wife is keen to have one. any variety anyone recommends

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Victoria has to be an obvious choice as they are a reliable, heavy cropper and lovely fruit. Depends how many you are able to plant. In addition to Victoria, I have a Damson 'Merryweather' and a brute of a plum called Excalibur which tastes gorgeously spicey but the tree is a robust grower, takes up much space, and the cropping not so reliable. My next choice would be a Gage. Love the taste.

• Only have room for one. victoria it is then

• 1dose the Victoria need a polinater or is it self pollinating, harry

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

Victoria will be fine on its own.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh