Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildflower ID please

Does anyone know what this is please? It's growing in the woodland near me but there was also lots of it in Grasmere the other week.

Sorry it's sideways, I took it on my iPhone and they always come out sideways image

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Wild garlic.

When you click on the image to enlarge it, it always turns the right way around - a feature I really like image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,206

If you rub your fingers against the leaves you will be in no doubt!  Really strong garlicky smellimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 16,762

Its very pretty.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Ramsons, Allium ursinium. Very invasive in gardens, lovely in the wild.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

Apparently delicious, though I have never tried it. Very much in demand in swanky restaurants. Which might explain why it has never featured in my kitchen.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pootlerpootler Posts: 95

You can buy it in the supermarket here in Denmark, in pots along with parsley, coriander and the other usual herbs in the fruit and veg section. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,265

The leaves are wonderful with goats cheese, pasta, fish, eggs .............. imageimageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Ooh lovely, I was thinking of trying to get some but not sure if it's invasive, I could put it in a pot though. It's very pretty.

I'll take your word for it on the smell seen as the woodlands are a popular dog walking area image

Thanks everyone image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Just do take care, invasive is not a strong enough word - on Guernsey it is everywhere to a really damaging degree. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks Bookertoo, not good.....maybe I won't bother then as I have enough problems with Marestail without adding to it image