Yellow leaves on Skimmia

I have a Skimmia which has been turning yellow over the last year.  Is there anything I can do to bring it back to a healthy green?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,523

Is your soil very alkaline? They always go yellow on mine to the point where I no longer grow them

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

Hi Nutcutlet.  The soil is actually quite acidic as rhododendrons and azaleas grow well around here.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,127

Is it getting too much sun?  There are some leaves that are more 'sheltered' that look darker than those that are more exposed. 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,523

I don't know the answer then Lesley.  I've often seen skimmias looking a sickly yellow or maybe a very pale edge to the leaf. I've always blamed the soil but perhaps not

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Epsom salts ... Verdun in what circumstances would you apply Epsom salts and what measurements do you use please?  Sounds like an effective solution that you would never read in a txt book image

Thanks for the replies.

Dovefromabove - I am in Scotland therefore it is definitely not getting too much sunimage.

Nutcutlet - perhaps the soil is too poor as conifers used to grow in that bed.

Verdun - I will give the Epsom salts a try and give it a good mulch with organic stuff and will let you know. Fingers crossed.

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Hi Verdun - thanks for that image

LesleyK, if it's any help, I've got a skimmia waiting to be planted in its proper place in a new bed and I potted it up quickly in ordinary compost thinking it wouldn't matter for a few weeks.  It's now sprouting lovely healthy yellow leaves!

Well done CharleyD for asking about dosage. Thanks again Verdun it sounds worth a try. I will spray the leaves as well.

Hope yours recovers soon CharleyD.  As is is a young plant it probably will be OK with tlc.