Aquilega

macfallmacfall Posts: 9

I vivisted a friends garden yesterday and she had Purple Aquilega, I also have this plant mine is a self seeded on too.  Someone told her that these self seed and take over everywhere. Does any one know about this?  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

aquilegias do seed around yes. This is easily avoided by cutting of the flower heads before the seeds form

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

They don't take over though, they are light and airy and flower early. They are welcome wherever they want to seed in my garden.

• ightenighten Posts: 184

They are also pretty easy to spot as they germinate (distinct leaf) so very easy to thin or just hoe over where you dont want them. You may need to replace with new stock after a while.. some of my darker ones or dbls revert after a few years.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

I let mine seed and weed out the dirty whites and other not so pleasing ones.

I did a big seed order from Touchwood last year and am now getting the first flowers to add to the gene pool

• Cultiv8Cultiv8 Posts: 9

Hi nutcutlet, just checked out Touchwood site and wow, placed an order immediately and can't wait to they arrive (fingers crossed), thanks for the recommendation.

• Hi all you experts!

Further to my post about dull, greenish flowers on my Aquilega - Yippeee! Just back from France and the garden is bursting with flowers. Here are the Aqs now!

image  image image  had to sneak in a pic of my Hanky Panky's 1st flowers! Planted 6/12 ago.image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Yes they seed all over if you don't dead head,every where.Some body told me they reverse back to yellow image