Forum home Plants

Ideas for hardy climber for the bottom of my garden

Hi there - I am quite a novice on picking plants that will survive in poor conditions. At the bottom of my garden there is a lovely wood and also an anderson shelter - I have a trellis to mask the anderson shelter but so far have tried unsuccessfully to grow clematis. The soil is quite poor - any suggestions to solve my problem would be welcome.

Ideally I would like something that flowers - at the moment only have ivy at the bottom of the trellis.

Many thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Try a honey suckle, they love woodland conditions the situation sounds perfect for them.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,814

A honeysuckle would be lovely - there are several good ones to choose from - some of my favourites are Lonicera Belgica, L. Serotina  and Lonicera periclymen Graham Thomas - they all have beautiful scents.   Perhaps you have room for more than one.

Belgica flowers in the spring, Serotina flowers later, and both have gold/cream/pink flowers.  

Graham Thomas flowers through most of the summer and has white flowers which turn a lovely soft creamy gold.

They will all enjoy the conditions you describe - but give them a good chance - dig a good large hole and incorporate some organic matter - garden compost/manure or leaf mould and keep them well-watered in the first year - it will pay dividends image 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh