Stump Removal

Hi, could anyone offer any advice on removing the tree stump in the attached pictures? Been hacking away at it for a few days now and am losing my patience. I suspect the answer is to keep going, however, if anyone has any alternative advice (burning etc...?) I will take any suggestions. I am looking to remove the stump as quickly as possible, therefore leaving it to decompose is not an option. I did consider hiring a stump grinder but the only access to the garden is through the house and most of the grinders appear to be too large for internal doors.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,459

I would dig and tunnel around and beneath it - it'll be easier than trying to chop it to bits - then when you've uncovered the roots you can follow them to where they get narrower and saw them off - when you've cut through all the roots you can pull the stump out.    

I've removed stumps like that, when I was a bit younger, and I'm a girl image

It's a heck of a job but it's cheaper than gym membership and think how honed and toned you'll be image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705

Get the loan of a beaver?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Without the help of a JCB you are in trouble. I had two about that size although they could be left so drilling pouring in root killer then covering was my way, they took five years but did rot down.

You can hire a stump chomper if money is not tight it will reduce the stump to shavings with a lot of effort needed. On the farm we had to use a winch and haulage rope to get stumps that size out of the ground, sorry I cannot give you an easy way, it is just jolly hard work.

Frank.

• Mike17Mike17 Posts: 2

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It looks like I'll have to keep going and, as Dovefromabove commented, maybe try a different technique. I'm determined to get the thing out though and will spend another day on it tomorrow.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Builders across the lane from me took turns with a sledgehammer and then set fire to the roots and burnt it out of the ground. Fire wasnt very large but did the trick nicely.