Forum home Talkback

idiot gardener needing some advice - may have just killed my plants!

Hi folks - I'm a newbie on the forum and an inexperienced gardener. This year I've tried to dig a vegetable patch in the garden and grow various veg in there.

Most of my runner beans and my sole surviving pumpkin plant were looking a little lack-lustre, so I watered them with water from my water-butt, plus a capful of Jamie Oliver's `Natural Fruit and Vegetable Food with Seaweed', thinking that might perk them up.

Within an hour, all but 2 of my runner beans and my sole pumpkin plant were incredibly floppy, shrivelled, with really dark green leaves. They have been like that for 2 days... Have I killed them??

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

2 days seems to tie in with the frost we just had.  Are these plants outside?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453

Hi Jonathan image

Whereabouts are you?  Unless you're down in the south-west it's a little early for them to be planted out in the open yet - we're still getting frosts at night and frost will kill runner beans and pumpkins (and courgettes and tomatoes and chillies).

They may be on their way out I'm afraid - I haven't sown my beans yet - I'm doing it this week and sowing them direct into the ground.  If I were you I'd start again - sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but we all live and learn. image

As  for the pumpkin - I'd sow some more seeds in pots and keep them indoors until at least the beginning of June. 

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions ........ image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190

Just another tip to add to all the good advice already Jonathan - you said it happened about an hour after you fed them so I'm assuming it was late in the day when you watered. If you do it in the morning plants have the whole day for the water to be absorbed and the excess to drain away, and it helps prevent plants sitting in freezing wet soil if it turns very cold. Most plants (of any type) will withstand dry cold much better than wet cold image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thanks very much for the advice - I'm in Northampton, so not too near the South West. I shall get some more seeds on the go in the greenhouse.

thanks again!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453

Good luck! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh