Forum home Talkback

Mother -in-law tongue flower

SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Mother-in-laws tongue has just flowered for the first time, after being pot bound into submission! What I didn't expect was the lovely smell - it's next to the sink so was lovely washing up this morning. Thought I'd share my joyimage

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Meant to add the picture but got distracted by hubbie... 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

What a surprise Supernoodle.  I didn't know they flowered, so worth keeping pot bound then.

Yeah, it's cracked the pot in the process!

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Wonderful Supernoodle!  Not sure I could cope with anything in the house that had the words 'mother in law' in the title though image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

image I wonder why it's called mother in laws tongue?

Think it's got lots of common names. Mother in laws tongue is just the one I remember.  Sharpness of the "tongue" leaves I expect.  My mother in law is lovely though...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215

Aren't they lovely Snoodle   Watch out 'cos they drip sticky nectar ....

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Mine is an evil witch!  We don't see her any more.  Long story...!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122

Don't hold back BB!  Glad I don't have to bother about any of that any more....image

I believe it's the shape and the jaggy nature which led to the nickname. It's a wonder the PC brigade haven't made it a criminal offence to call it that image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

That's like the old Les Dawson joke - "my mother in law has got such sharp ears - you can see the scratches round all the keyholes".

Boom boom!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.