Forum home Plants

Planted Daffodil bulbs and got Gladioli!! Help!!!

Ok, so I had brought Daffodil bulbs last year and planted them in my pots. The dwarf Daffodils have grown and flowered but the normal Daffodils hadn't flowered, so after waiting and waiting I started to notice something strange growing..... They are not Daffodils but Gladioli!!!

I had grown Gladioli years before at my previous House nand found they grew very tall and needing propping up. The trouble is now that they are in my pots (prob only 4inches deep) I obviously need to move them to a more suitable pot, my question is, do I just dig them up or leave them and hope that they will survive in my shallow pots??!!

p.s I brought the bulbs from a B and M shop, I specifically brought Daffoldils, so be warned when shopping at a cheaper garden centre!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197

Have you got anywhere you can sink the pots in the ground? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• No I haven't. My whole garden is paved and decked so Ive just got clay pots that sit on the edge of the raised pond! I thought maybe I could go buy bigger, deeper pots and transfer them. Or shall I try and prop them up with canes and hope for the best??!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Put them in deeper pots.  They will be easy to transfer.

• Ok thanks, I will give it a go image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197

If you're worried about taking them out of the pot, get larger pots that the current pots will fit into the bottom of - then just top up with compost. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ooh that's a good idea! Thanks image 

i will try and transfer a pot first and see how I get on image