Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to plant hyacinth bulbs

What do I do with bulbs once they have flowered?

• Go to Kew Gardens and search out my mate Guy Moore, a horticulturist there. He's Adonis-handsome and single (curly blonde hair and blue eyes)!
  • Can you suggest me some compost? I am new to gardening and I just got some hyacinth bulbs. Also, I read a few artciles about planting them in pots and putting them in a refrigerator and then transferring them to pots...how does that work ? Is that a bad/ faster process?
  • i have bought hyacinth plant in jan. now the plant is 22inch tall and no flowers what shall i do next.
  • why do my hyacinths bend over
  • Joy2Joy2 Posts: 1
    Do the pots need to have drainage at the bottom? or can I use an enclosed pot for my hyacinths?
  • I normally dig a deep hole,sprinkle some grit [bulbs don't like to sit in the damp].because the Hyacinth bulbs have flowered, they may not flower next year,they will need feeding, The leaves and stem must stay intact,these will help to carry food back to the bulb also apply a feed to the area, take care, the sap or liquid from leaves and stem may cause skin soreness.
  • CiaCia Posts: 153

I love the perfume of Hyacinths. I buy many in the spring just to keep the lounge smelling of the beautiful fragrance. When they have done thier magic i retire them to the garden and dig them a hole where they slowley fade till next spring. image