Forum home Talkback

Privet

Please can anyone tell me how often I should cut back a new growing privet hedge, to thicken up base? is that right? So I have a hedge and why when I did cut it back last year 3 months after planting it lost all it's leaves, is this normal? They seem ok now and have greened up again, but will I lose them again if I cut back? Thanks 

• Mums I amMums I am Posts: 9

New to gardening so would really appreciate some advice thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119

Hi Mums - although we always think privet's evergreen it's only semi. They can get quite bare through the winter. Most privet hedges, once established, need cutting several times in the growing season to keep them neat. Try to trim so that the top is narrower than the base so that plenty of light gets to it . Little and often - like grass - is always better for them and you can give it a general feed at this time of year after clipping if you want to give it a boost  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

Hi Mums I am image  Think most of us are out in our gardens - I've just come in 'cos it's bitterly cold out there image

Can you tell us a bit more about your hedge please?  When did you plant it and where, and how big is it now?

A photograph or two would be helpful - to post a pic on here you click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions.  Sadly it doesn't seem to work on tablets or phones. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ah, you've come indoors too Fg image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

cold Dove?

sun shining, had to take my jacket off.

Mums, I usually get told off here for cutting hedging back in the first year but it does seem to get the bushiness off to a good start. It's not a hard cut back, just enough all round to encourage one stem to divide into two

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119

It was too cold out there for me too Dove image

Hot soup now image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

nutcutlet wrote (see)

cold Dove?

sun shining, had to take my jacket off.

What????? 

Perishing here, 11.9C and falling Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - and you're only just up the road from here so to speak ........... but  I suppose you don't get the cold air off the North Sea like we do image

Thanks everyone planted last year and cut back twice about 1 and 1/2 feet high now. How often do you keep trimming it till it starts to merge into hedge? And how long does it take as in years? Very new to gardening I'm afraid but loving it ????

• I'd give it a good feed right now and then use the lawn clippings to mulch it and keep moisture in - they seem to need a lot of water when they are very young.  FairyG's advice is good - don't cut back too hard though if it isn't growing very vigorously.

now - back to the sunshine - I only came in for a cold drink.....

Thankyou gardening granny enjoy the sunshine, cold up here image