Forum home Problem solving

Removing Ivy

13»

• I have bought rosate to treat young shoots of ivy coming through after clearing all the original plant and was wondering if I have to dilute the solution. I can't seem to find the information in the label...

can anyone help please? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

But all will succumb eventually to the weed killer with a bit of diligence!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

I've had a similar problem with ivy - it was about 2ft thick on my fence.

I tried roundup which turned a few leaves brown but had no other effect.

I then came across Rosate36 (avail from Amaz..) - it's still glyphosphate (same as roundup) but much, much stronger.
    I sprayed the ivy 3 times over a period of about 6 weeks and it's almost all dead now, but you need to apply it to the leaves during the growing season, so meay be best to wait until it gets going again next year and when there's a decent amount of foliage give it a few blasts with Rosate36.

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nigel86Nigel86 Posts: 1

I have just bought some Rosate36 to treat some ivy in my stone wall that is growing and affecting the fabric of the wall.  I have also bought a sprayer.  I have read Pete8's comments and seems I have the correct stuff but what concentration should I use?  

The leaflet with the Rosate36 talks in terms of litres per hectare with concentrations of 2% (1 part Rosate36 to 49 parts water) but the bit about tree stumps talks of 10 or 20% (1 part Rosate36 to 9 or 4 parts water)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

Hi Nigel - it is a bit confusing and there's a lot of very small print.
    Burried in there somewhere is the correct dosage which is 30ml of Rosate36 to 1Litre of water.

I started around now last year with the ivy and sprayed 3 times with about 3 weeks between sprayings.

Relieved to say no sign of any of it returning yet - and there was a lot of it!

When you spray I suggest not using a fine mist as it'll get all over the place and kill other stuff, I set mine to give a small droplet spray and that didn't blow around.

Let battle commence!

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.