Forum home Problem solving

Removing Ivy

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

Glyphosate is inactivated as soon as it hits the soil, you can plant up straight away as soon as you clear the dead plants. It may take several applications though, it can't get through the waxy coating on ivy leaves very easily. 

• cleverduckcleverduck Posts: 21
    landgirl100 wrote (see)

it can't get through the waxy coating on ivy leaves very easily. 

The picture I uploaded was from when we first moved in, I should have said. Since then, we have removed all the leaves and most of the roots. hoping it wont come back, but it has, thats why I posted here asked for next steps. 

the roots are deep beneath the soil and seems like they ave gone through the ground image

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

OK, so weedkiller of any kind will only work if the weed has leaves and is actively growing. Glyphosate is taken up by the leaves and travels through the plant to the roots. It takes a while to see any effect - weeks rather than days. Damaging the regrowth by trampling and crushing may help absorption. "Instant" weedkillers don't kill the roots.

My technique to keep ivy under control is to pull out the long growths as necessary, and dig out roots if I want to plant in that space. Ivy usually has shallow roots, the stems root into the ground as it grows horizontally across the soil. It's certainly not impossible to dig it out, but if there's any around in your garden or the neighbour's, it will come back. It is also spread by birds, they take the berries in winter, drop the seeds and the cycle starts again. It loves shady places, growing where little else will flourish.

• Hi, I've just been trying to dig up some ivy roots so that I can erect a new fence (the ivy completely trashed the old one and I don't want that to happen again: its expensive).  Energy now drained!  (I am a 68 year old granny).  Help - what would anyone suggest is the very best next step?  What is SBK and where can I get it?

• Hi, I've got a problem with ground ivy too and have spent all summer digging and spraying with Round Up Ultra 3000 but I still can't bump it off.  I contacted Round Up and they advise doing it one a month until there are signs of it dying.  I'm due to do my second spray next weekend as the first spray doesn't seem to have done anything.  I've also read to bruise the foliage first by brushing or walking on it, which I have done.  I'd love to keep the ivy for wildlife if only it just grew upwards!  Any advice on how you can prevent it from creeping across the ground also?

• You used to be able to get SBK brushwood killer in Garden Centres - I'm not sure if it has now been banned (most of the really useful things get banned) - it would work well if you have thick stems, also good for brambles.   I believe there is now a gel that you paint on, but it's pretty pricey and labour intensive if you've got a lot to treat.  Ground elder takes time - a lot of time.  Dig out as much as you can and burn the roots.  As soon as it starts to reappear spray the young growth, and keep spraying any new growth once a week.  You will conquer it eventually (years rather than months)  Unfortunately, like brambles, it's one of those things that loves to grow under a dividing fence so you may need to befriend your neighbour and get them to tackle it from their side at the same time.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

Ground ivy? Glechoma hederacea?

Or Ivy? Hedera helix?

Or ground elder? Aegopodium podagraria?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143

Yes Nut - my thoughts also image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cajarycajary Posts: 26

I would agree with Verdun 100%. You can't get SBK from local GC's (like B&Q's)  you have to go to a specific G.C. It's easily obtained on the 'net.

Ground Elder (Goutweed) can't be dug out as the roots intermingle with all the other roots. Spot weed with SBK or Roundup. It'll take a couple of treatments.