Forum home Talkback

Talkback: 100 hungry snails

so the truth is out Kate you throw your slug and snails in some else's garden,100% recycling.have a good bank holiday I hope they don't come back.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    It would have been interesting to mark them with nail polish or some such and seen how many (and how quickly they) returned.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Would have been more fun to stamp on them. I'll get my coat image

• BalBal Posts: 93

I love hostas and so obviously hate snails and slugs but I just can't bring myself to kill them. I bet they do come back. I will mark with them with nail polish and see

• ightenighten Posts: 184

They'll come back..probably with a full pedicure and 6 mates

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

A woman I used to know in West London would fill carrier bags with snails and take them to what she called the BBC park at White City...perhaps that's why they moved up North?image

• Hester ScottHester Scott Posts: 181

Good to see someone with an alternative to that horribly cruel practice of putting them in salty water.  Stamping on them is instant and efficient also.  The nail polish painting and waiting game is interesting too.  Three returns is as many as I have observed, and observing the survivors from one year to another.  However I don't agree about the slugs...... I think they do more damage than the snails.  Sad story about the cornflower.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,167

Pippa Greenwood on Gardeners World did the marking of snails experiment years ago. She was amazed that most of them came back!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,370

rubber gloves, drop them into the bucket , punch them. Instant and as humane as possible, unlike the lingering salt death approach.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,370

at this time of year, if you have tadpoles, drop the crushed snails into the pond. Tadpoles love them.

Devon.
  • oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
    Hi Kate we have put our house on the market,and the viewers all ask why we have so many plants in the garden and why isn't it all grass from back to front and side to side,funny lot of people out there.