no blossom on my apple tree this year

Hi!

When we moved in to our home in January 2012 it was evident that the apple tree in the back garden had had a good crop as there were lots of fruit all over the ground & lodged in the surrounding box hedges! Unfortunately the tree hasn't produced any blossom since! What could be the issue here? I don't know the variety of apple tree but the fruit were very similar to Mackintosh Reds in appearance - very deep red with nobbles & slightly elongated in shape. (The neighbours James Grieve is blossoming its heart out)

Any ideas as to what the issue may be? cheers!

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

it needs a bit of tender loving caring as in pruning.image

• dolgarrogdolgarrog Posts: 83

Hi flowering rose - we did give it a bit of a prune later on in 2012 & it's put on a lot of new growth but I'm not even getting blossom on the older wood that was left? has a lot of leaf growth though.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 949

My apple tree outdid itself with fruit last year and hasn't flowered this year. It is quite common if a tree over does it one year to produce little or no fruit the following year. Maybe the combination of over fruiting and then a good prune has delayed yours for 2 years. If it is producing new growth and seems healthy enough, I would give it a feed and look forward to a good crop next year.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,097

My apple trees blossom and fruit every two years, even when pruned. They are old trees.

• dolgarrogdolgarrog Posts: 83

thank you Daintiness & Busy-Lizzie - I'll persevere with the tree & feed it as you suggest & see what happens next year! cheers!