Forum home Garden design

Under trampoline

Hi all,

I've been pondering for over a year now what to put under our trampoline.  It is 14ft and not moveable due to my excellent garden design image

Anyway, due to our lovely clay soil and being a bit shady where it is anyway and further added to by the trampoline, the grass underneath is a mixture of vigorous grass in places and bald weedy patches in others.  It's a pig to mow (fine if you're 1ft tall, but rather tricky otherwise) and really I need a new solution.  I've considered

1) Digging a big hole (would be a massive job due to our clay soil and hubby not keen because of rats)

2) Artificial grass (would probably work but at 16m2 I could have bought a much better quality trampoline for that price!)

3) Wild flowers (I'm thinking they would have trouble growing due to the shade and I don't want them seeding round the rest of the garden - ground elder is enough of a problem!)

So I'm thinking perhaps some sort of low growing shade loving plant that likes clay soil.  Is there such a plant and how would I go about doing it?  Would I need to remove the turf, kill it off with weed-killer, cover it for a while or put weed preventative fabric?  Any tips/ experience would be thankfully received.  

Thanks.  Emma

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

OOO, a bit ambitious Emma! We just put weed fabric and bark down. I crawl under occasionally to weed it but usually a weedkiller spray suffices. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,301
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I think you will find nothing will grow well due to lack of light and the best Idea  is tough grass and mowing with a strimmer or shears to cut the grass or artificial grass which is the best .image

• Emma179Emma179 Posts: 22

Thanks for the tips.  I will ponder a little longer image

• ightenighten Posts: 184

What about digging a bed around it and putting in some evergreen shady shrubs letting them grow to the height of the tramp so you cant see under or through it anymore.. Just don't land barefooted on a patch of holly

• Emma179Emma179 Posts: 22

You can see which option we chose!!  What a lot of work.  I'm waiting till spring to plant grass on that rather attractive mud mound :)

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi Emma

Well I suppose once the kids are to big for the tramp you have a pond already excavated, so start planning your next project

Happy gardening

• Isobel24Isobel24 Posts: 1

I was wondering about building a pond under the trampoline? My youngest child still uses it often but the plan is to have a pond once she's finished with it. Do you think it would work? the sun does get to the area a fair bit as it's set higher up.