Forum home Talkback

Chameleon plant

WaysideWayside Posts: 807

I bought a chameleon plant this week. It's quite charming.  Anyway I've since read that it can run rampant, and it's akin to ground elder.  Are these fears accurate?

I'm thinking of sandwiching between two strips of concrete.

Does anyone have one, and does anyone eat it?  Are all varieties edible?  I think I read that it's also known as fishwort.

Thanks,

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I googled it. It's Houttuynia cordata.

I didn't know you could eat it. I don't supposed edibility is affected by whether you've got a variegated one or not

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

It's a marsh plant, and no relation to ground elder. I tried and failed to grow it next to a stream, the banks were not wet enough for it.

• WaysideWayside Posts: 807

When I said that it's akin to ground elder, I meant that it can get out of control and is hard to remove like ground elder.  Sorry for the confusion.

Interesting that it's a marsh plant.  I read that it thrives in wetter soils, and you can stop it running rampant by keeping it in a dry site.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

It is more containable in dry soil but that spoils its appearance.

I prefer the unvariegated one to look at

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156

I like the smell of it when you crush a leaf between your fingers, but I didn't know it was edible.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807

Oh dear, I've moved it once already.

I was thinking of parking it behind the pond, where it can't really travel far.  But I'll reconsider.  How about a buried pot?  Is it likely to propagate by seed?

I have the variegated variety and it has the prettiest colour.

The image of rampant roots on this page triggered me to ask here:

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/HouttCorda