Forum home Garden design

triangle garden design

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eyM0v6qT8Hk/S5Vkw3k8KvI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/ulCqNLchRvw/s400/tots+garden+design.png

hello everybody,

im after some help above is a basic picture of the shape garden i have to work with please ignore the plants placed inside as i got this from google images. the garden im working with 4.8m on the diagonal base is 4.5m and height is 2.10 m.

now im a very new gardener and have a couple of things i would like to achieve the main fact is MBC made up of flowers in the middle with any kind of blue flowers as border.

the advise i am after is basically how many plants i may need to achieve this and hows best to go about this. also any help with flowers that bloom with orange, pink or blue would be hugely appreciated im sorry this is very vague but dont really know where to start properly and have heard wonderful things about you guys.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Welcome Markimage Blue flowers; for this time of the year, for-get-me-nots, I pull them out as they finish flowering so they don't leave too many seeds for next year. Plus blue anemones, Lithodora Diffusa Blue, Camassia Blue. Can't take pics for you as it is raining hard at the moment. Soon there will be tall spires of blue Delphiniums, cut off the flowering spike as it finishes blooming and you will get a second flowering late summer. Hope this helps.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,713

The number of plants needed depends on the plants you choose so check their height and width when making you selection so you can place them where you want them and in the correct numbers.   

Other blue plants for spring are pulmonarias but check the variety you buy as some do all blue and some do pink and blue.  They have attractive spotted foliage which can be refreshed by cutting it all back once flowering finishes and then giving a good drink and a bit of a feed.   Also grape hyacinth, chinodoxia and scillas which are all bulbs and will die down 6 to 8 weeks after flowering finishes.

For oranges and pinks, look at hemerocallis, geums, potentillas, rudbeckias, oriental poppies, helianthemeums - all perennials which will come back each year. 

If you want annuals, just go down to the garden centre and look at packets of seeds or their bedding displays.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,313

It will also be useful to know how much sun/shade the area gets, and what sort of soil you have - some plants prefer shade to sun and some need more moisture than others.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh