Forum home Plants

Is it possible to

Beanyjeany2Beanyjeany2 Posts: 33

grow a grape vine outside in this country? We are in the West Midlands. Thank you. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I grew one in London, can't say that the grapes were edible. I would research a nursery that supplies them and ask them. It would have to be on a South facing wall I think. As a child we grew black grapes in a large conservatory and they were delicious. I now grow an apricot in my lean-to green house to avoid the frosts getting to the new fruit as they set quite early in the year. This year for the first time I should get at least a large fruit bowl of themimage

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214

There are lots of vineyards in England and even a handful in Scotland so it's certainly possible to grow wine grapes.

I'm in Essex and we had an outside dessert grape vine for years which I finally axed because it was sucking out the moisture from the adjacent vegetable garden. It did grow tasty grapes but they were usually very small with large pips so not very satisfactory to eat.

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

I have vines outside. I think it depends on the variety you grow. I have one that produces a bowl full of sweet fruit but tiny with pips. I liquidise them and make a drink with a spritzer. The black variety I have too, is "Black Hamburg" which has a reasonable size fruit but again with pips. But they are very sweet, which is lovely .