Forum home Problem solving

Fungus??

Hello My lovely acer has just taken a turn for the worst On one side all of the foliage has suddenly died I then noticed what looks like a white fungus with brown spores in the middle on the trunk I have sprayed it with a fungus spray, does anyone know what this could be? Will the tree survive? Should I repot it (it's in a container) ? Any advice much appreciated Regards Nadger

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,829

Sounds more like Oyster scale than a fungus. Spray with a soap based insecticide, or gently scrub them off with soap, or if only a few dab with methylated spirits. They are sap suckers which is why the tree maybe suffering.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,331

Nadger the badger - I think a photograph would be helpful - to post a pic on here you click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks berghill,just the name oyster-scale

Describes the problem perfectly

Have washed down with soapy water

Should I repot in new soil?

Sorry dove I may be a bit dim but I can not see the tree icon!!
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,829

I wouldn't, not yet.. scrape the top 2 inches off and replenish with fresh and feed with a general purpose fertiliser to see what happens.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,331

Are you posting on a laptop/pc?  Some phones/tablets don't show the toolbar image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Phone!
  • Thanks for the advice berghill
  • eccleseccles Posts: 2

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have in my soil what looks like bits of ash, and this smells musty. Any ideas please?