Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Grow Wild - Campaign to get UK people to grow more native wild flowers

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I saw this on Countryfile and so I applied for free wild flower seeds which I sowed today. Thought I would share, as they seem to be doing lots of free seed give aways. Another one was running over the weekend so thought I'd spread the news. 

https://www.growwilduk.com/ 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Good idea Peanuts. I love a good native wildflower and so do the insects.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've got my wildflower seeds still to sow too and some Poppy's and cornflowers too image I love wild flowers image

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

May I offer a word or two of caution?  There was an interesting article on just this subject in the Weekend section of the Daily Telegraph last Saturday, written by Germaine Greer.

She is extremely knowledgeable and points out that many of the wild flower seeds require diverse habitats.  Throwing a mixed pack of seeds in one place is likely to cause disappointment, since cornflowers, corn cockles and corn marigolds, for example, require different conditions from hedge bedstraw or red campion.  The clue is in the name - and she urges caution, suggesting it would be more beneficial, perhaps, to persuade local authorities to be less cavalier with the clearance of roadside verges etc. if we really do want to encourage wild flowers.

I love to see them - but her article certainly got me thinking.

Sorry - I don't know how to do a link to the actual article, but hopefully it is still available on-line.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I'm not sure if I'm too late for the seeds offer anyway.However,I do have Cornflowers and Common Corn-cockle already.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

As with any plant it's a case of right plant right place.    Here's the article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/10785393/Germaine-Greer-stop-weeding-and-let-nature-take-over.html

As well as growing specific wild flowers to support particular species of birds or butterflies and other critters it's important to consider habitat such for shelter and butterflies, for example, will often take nectar from many non native plants they require a specific plant for their eggs and caterpillars.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I think the point is more about raising awareness. this Grow Wild scheme is a 4 year thing and there will be more offers of seeds, so just thought it would be good for people to know it was out there and keep an eye out if they were interested.

Shrinking Vioilet, I see you point, although I'm sure they have thought of that.  Countryfile issued 230,000 packets of these seeds, and I'm sure they went to a diverse range of people.  Some may get some plants that will take, others will get different plants depending on the conditions.  Even if only a small percentage take the environment will still be better off, every little bit helps, and I guess part of it is educating people and raising awareness in general.

Personally I'm looking forward to see which of the seeds suit my conditions and see what pops up. 

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I absolutely take your point Peanuts - I was just offering a word of caution given the article I had read.  And thanks, Obelixx for posting the link.

I hope that there are lots more wild flowers in the country as a whole - and I hope that there isn't too much disappointment if some are less easy to germinate than others.

Like I said in my post - it certainly was an article that got me thinking!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I know what you mean SV but you don't often see the difficult ones in the Wildflower mix at the GCs. Some of them aren't even natives though I'm sure they're wild somewhere in the world

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750
    Shrinking Violet wrote (see)

May I offer a word or two of caution?  There was an interesting article on just this subject in the Weekend section of the Daily Telegraph last Saturday, written by Germaine Greer.

She is extremely knowledgeable and points out that many of the wild flower seeds require diverse habitats.  Throwing a mixed pack of seeds in one place is likely to cause disappointment, since cornflowers, corn cockles and corn marigolds, for example, require different conditions from hedge bedstraw or red campion.  The clue is in the name - and she urges caution, suggesting it would be more beneficial, perhaps, to persuade local authorities to be less cavalier with the clearance of roadside verges etc. if we really do want to encourage wild flowers.

I love to see them - but her article certainly got me thinking.

Sorry - I don't know how to do a link to the actual article, but hopefully it is still available on-line.

I really don't think there's anything to be worrying about. None of the plants you mentioned there are very fussy and I have them all growing in my meadow. Because you find them in a hedge doesn't mean they won't grow in a meadow, it's just they might eventually be out competed but hedge bedstraw & red campion are more than capable of looking after themselves. Besides what is the worst that can happen. By the way. I did my thesis on Wild Flowers in an Ubran Setting and was Conservation rep for a large London Borough. I think Germaine Greer should stick to what she knows best. 

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

If you're worried you might have missed out on any offers then I'm sure Emorsgate Seeds will do a very, very, good mix suited perfectly for your situation and soil. They are fantastic and very competitively priced. I have no affiliation with them. Naturescape are good too. image What's more Emorsgate will only offer UK sourced plants and don't do silly garden hybrids.