Forum home Problem solving

Ants on my veg patch

They don't bother me too much but I just wondered will they cause damage, i.e. will they eat the seeds / veg and do I need to take action?  If I need to take action, what is best, i.e. Bird / animal friendly - it doesn't matter about my dogs as they cant get on the veg patch but for other wildlife?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,490

Just hoe the soil surface regularly between the rows of seedlings, and water the seedlings if needed.  They'll only do damage if they build a nest under your plants, and if you keep the soil tilled they'll move on. 

Well, that's my experience anyway image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397

Nature and gardening should go together, it works really well. Too often the balance is disturbed by us.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

That's fine and sort of what I wanted to hear.  I know I'm a bit squeamish but don't mind ants, I was more bothered about them ruining my hard work but if they are ok there then that's fine with me image 

Thank you.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I lifted up one of the paving stones before (on the veg patch that I use for walking on and dividing the sections) and there were LOADS so I think there may be a nest under there, they were definitely making their way backwards and forwards from there anyway!

Still ok to leave as it's not on/near the roots of the plants or does that need something doing with it?