Forum home Wildlife gardening

This year's lodgers

13»

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,132

The bats didn't listen they made the nursery roost over a south facing dormer window with little space and it's all gone wrong.

4 babies dead in the gutter, cooked I should think. The adults were coming out in the day time to escape the heat but the babies are too young.

That's two years running. That plus 2 very cold winters and one wet one. No wonder there aren't many bats flying about now. We have had 200+.

Now nothing is eating the mozzies and they're on the increaseimage

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Awwwwww Nut, that's a shame, poor little things image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    What wonderful things, i live quite close to Wolverhampton, so no deer for me, but we do get bats.

Have any of you joined natures calander? image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,860

Nut, how disappointing about the bats...image

Will that be it for this year, or do bats raise a second batch? 

I should think that will be it VS. image

what's natures calendar bekkie?

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 766

Nut we have bats behind our shutters during the day, how they don't cook I don't know. it can get so hot on the south side of the house. Like you i have asked them please would they like to go somewhere cooler so that i can shut the shutters during the day against the sun but hey they don't listen, so i cook as well.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Natures calander is a site which asks the public to record evemts such as the first swallow of the year etc, they are recording the shifting of the seasons and all other sorts of things like early migrations and new species to the country image

Right, I'll have a look at that bekkie. Thank you.

Floralies for years the bats went in under the barge boards on one of the gable ends of the house. From there they could access the whole roof space. It seemed a good choice, don't know why they moved. Better for us as well as it wasn't over windows and we all know what's up walls and windows under the entrance to a bats roostimage