Forum home Wildlife gardening

This year's lodgers

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,826

What kind of bats have you got, Nutcutlet?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Hi Victoria

the roof residents are pipistrelles 

Coolimage

Where I used to live in the Northumberland area I used to have pipistrelles flying around my room if I left the windows open.

I first realised it when I saw bat poo stuck on the wall and then another time I woke up and witnessed it which was quite surreal.

I was surprised by how much they come in the house and how close to me they fly when I stand out watching and counting. You can feel them.

Pipistrelle by flash from the bedroom window. We can't see them, it's dark. We put the camera out and flash. Sometimes we get a pic

I would feel very privileged if some bats moved in, although I understand they are quite noisy...

They smell a bit as well but it is a privilege isn't itimage

• AWBAWB Posts: 419

Hi Nut I too run my garden as a nature reserve.I do not use chemicals or artificial fertilisers.Had a pond dug,created hibernaculums log piles and a log wall, photo was taken March 2011.

So well hidden OH didn't notice it from 2 yards

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,574

We have an SSSI very close to our home, consisting of woodland and disused chalk workings - it is home to at least 3 species of bats,  Daubenton's, Natterer's and Brown Long-eared.  

Our garden is on a direct line between their roost and the marshes where they go to feed on gnats etc in the evening - we spend lots of time outside in the dusk and watch them as they pass over.  One summer evening one bat was feeding in our garden as I lay on my back on the lawn, and as it swooped back and forth over me I could feel the air moving.  As you say Nut, what a privilege image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Lovely pic AWBimage

Dove, don't lie under those bats with your mouth openimage

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Gosh that sounds just wonderful. I grew up next to a Church so every night in the garden you'd be able to lay there feeling the bats speed past you til your nerve broke.

Since moving I haven't seen as much wildlife (it is definitely more urban here) which for me is a great shame. I'm hoping as the seasons pass I will be able to add little things (hedgehog boxes, another insect hotel...) to encourage any passing visitors to spend some time enjoying the garden as much as I do. Certainly with my collection of bird feeders (they're currently going through 18kg a fortnight week of seed) we're seeing more finches, a couple of blackbirds, the resident robin (who is most fond of the meal worms we're providing), fat pigeons, but unfortunately very few blue tits and such like.

Since adding the pond we've seen three frogs - since I can't see a pond for a good distance on good old google earth I do wonder where they've come from!