Direct sow seeds

AdamGrAdamGr Posts: 13

Hi all, first time gardener looking for a bit of advice about sowing seeds into a bed I've been trying to sort out over the spring. I've de-deweeded, taken out a lot of debris, turned the soil and mixed in some compost. The plants I've gone for are (hopefully) pretty low maintenance seeds that I can direct sow without using trays, etc: calendula, cornflowers and ladybird poppies. 

So my main question is: would you use mulch, and if so would you sow the seeds in the soil and mulch over, or add a layer of mulch and sow the seeds into that! 

I'm also worried that the weeds I've removed are all part of one massive plant with very deep set roots. I'm taking them out as best I can and removing new growth but short of digging up the whole bed that's all I can do, but any advice is much appreciated

Thanks, Adam

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

I wouldn't mulch, mix in some compost with the soil and just sow them.

Mulching is good around perennials and shrubs.

It might be an idea to get your mega-weed IDd so you know what you're dealing with.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,243

Sow into the soil. Easiest if you sow in a pattern you will recognise afterwards, like straight lines or noughts and crosses so you will know which are seeds and which are weeds.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AdamGrAdamGr Posts: 13

Thanks all. I think I'll avoid the mulch then. As this bed's been overrun by weeds for quite a while, then sitting as bare soil for the winter, I need to run a second layer of compost through it but then it should be good to go.

I'm growing a small patch of strawberries as well and heard I should get some sort of hay/etc to go on top of the soil - is that just to stop the fruit touching the soil?

Also what are general opinions of rubble within soil, small pieces of brickwork, etc? My landlord, in all his wisdom, used this bed as a bit of a dumping ground. I've taken out the majority of large pieces in the top 5-6 inches of soil, but is it essential to get rid of most of them or doe this help break up the soil?