Forum home Talkback

SW Facing front.

ogsterogster Posts: 88

Greetings my fellow garden enthusiasts, hope all is well in your gardens this spring. 

I have a south/south west facing front paved small garden at the front of my terrace house. I was thinking of pulling up some of these paving stones and planting a some perennials. I was thinking either Peonies or Camelia's any other suggestions?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I wouldn't put camellia's  in there, too much early morning sun would burn the new buds in winter/spring. There are loads of other shrubs/perennials you could choose. you could choose.

• ogsterogster Posts: 88

Its only 10'x5' Edd, i was going to remove some cracked paving stones, make a border at the boundary brick wall, and plant some shrubs, as i still have my bins out front?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,366

Choisya's (Mexican Orange blossom) are nice............the golden one particularly.....evergreen and perfumed.........a good antidote to your bins.image  The likes of Rosemary , Thymes , etc would look good against the remainder of your paving.  A few nasturtiums for summer too perhaps?

Thought you was in the SS then Edd lol, great ideas though. Out front, no kids, no use for the land. and Philippa also great ideas thankyou.

Would i be ok with Peonies though?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,366

Ogster..........don't know much about Peonies but I think they would like your aspect............someone else will know more tho and I'm sure they will be along soon to offer better adviceimage 

Only thing I would say is that the Peony is a short season so combine with something which will give you more foliage for a longer period.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Peonies would do well there, but as phillipa says they only flower for a short period, so to spread the flowering season plant a mixture of perennials. 

There you go Edd, this is my front patch of land!

So no more input? Im thinking of a few Peonies, interspersed with ground cover to negate the cats, also possibly Dicentra/Foxglove/ Anemone's or something similar, this is all along the wall by the way, which is covered from wind, but gets amazing sunlight after midday?

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,920

Hi ogster,

I would definitely pull the slabs up too and plant it up.

So many plants can go in a S/SW facing garden, it's hard to say as it is what you like personally.

The peonies will be fine, as others have said though, they don't flower for very long and have a tendency to get trashed if it rains image

There is an app called plant genie by crocus which is quite handy- it picks up your grid, you answer a few questions and it brings up suitable plants. It's by crocus, but of course you don't have to purchase from them. The tool on their website is useful too, for narrowing down choices and seeing what you like.