Forum home Wildlife gardening

Chickens

2»

• PinkypooPinkypoo Posts: 30

Hello all

Thank you so much for your advise and help on this! I do think our garden would be to small sadly due to having to move them around. We dont have a massive area of grass and what we do have would soon be turned to mud!

I didnt think the cat would be a problem, he is a hunter but from what I have read before they dont tend to bother with chickens!

I think it will just have to be a dream of mine for now image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I'm joining you in the dream Pinky.  I've always wanted goats too!

• PinkypooPinkypoo Posts: 30

Forester I would love some goats, ducks and chickens and maybe a little shetland pony....a dream it is for now.....image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sounds like we should all club together and buy a smallholding?

(scope for smutty joke there, but not by me...)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,330

I had one - we had 9 acres, some Hereford bullocks,  a milking herd of up to 7 Golden Guernsey and British Saanan goats, an Exmoor pony, Guinea fowl, a flock of 60+ chickens, several cross-bred ducks and some muscovies, a pair of 'farmyard' geese, a small flock of Southdown ewes, some pigs to fatten and a little grey Ferguson tractor.  

Too old to take that lot on again, but if we're all clubbing together I'm happy to come along and supervise image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,631

Dove...............not only supervise but provide your famous cakes too I hopeimage

Ok, I'll do the cakes, bread and make goat's cheese -  if the rest of you do the milking, feeding and mucking out ........... oh, and you'll have to take responsibility for keeping the fences in good order - I remember the time one of the bullocks found its way onto the local allotments image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Not sure about keeping bullocks, they frighten me.  It was bad enough negotiating a field on Saturday with a huge Charolet bull in it.  He had his ladies with him plus their babies but they kept galloping towards us in a scary manner  (it was a public footpath)  I don't mind mucking out etc..... and eating the cakes and other goodies.

The bullocks were lovely - very friendly - and the beef was fantastic image