Forum home Plants

WEED OR PLANT

Can somone tell me if this is a wild plant or a weed.ive found two small clumps growing near an old caretaker's bungalow on the boundary fence of a school.i wasn't sure they had been planted years ago when the bungalow was in use or are they just "WEEDS" I would like to addone two my woodland garden area but I am concerned they are a weed Any help identifying them would be much appreciated. ...

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

If they're only small clumps now they're not that invasive so if you like them grow them.

When you say 4 lobed, do you mean 4 petals?

• Yes four petals.im trying to upload photos of my phone but cant find the icon to let me.

They are small delicate purple flowers like violas on a 12" fury stem there is only a few clumps so like you say they should be fine if they are only in small clumps next to the fence..

Thankyou
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Could be but delicate isn't the first word that springs to mind on L orvala.

Leaves like nettles are right though

Ah, cross-posted - hadn't seen the delicate and viola-like  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Are they dead nettles perhaps?

I'm trying to think what purple and out now and has leaves like nettles and flowers like violas

Out now I have the lamium Dove mentioned and the red deadnettle. Lathyrus vernus.

Honesty, the leaves are a bit nettle shaped

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/507.shtml

If it's honesty don't try and move it. It's biennial, wait for the seed and scatter it in your garden

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Does it look something like this?

My Hesperis Matronalis is almost out, and I saw some out in a sheltered garden today - that might fit the bill 

If we're boasting I had H. matrionalis on the New year's day flower count