Forum home Plants

English bluebell,Spanish bluebell,scilla is it me or are these plants confusing

cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

With lots of hyacinthodes,hybridised bluebells,scilla and what ever else you want to call them out at the minute,is it me or is it confusing?

Confused yet?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,786
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

How do you tell the difference between Spanish and English?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,437

English bluebells only come in blue for a start. The other thing to look at is  where the individual flowers are on the stem. In English ones all the flowers are on  one side only, in Spanish ones the flowers are circled around the stem.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Make sure you don't spread Spanish bluebells to a wood.  They are a curse.

lisa massey wrote (see)

How do you tell the difference between Spanish and English?

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/british-natural-history/survey-bluebells/bluebell-identification/index.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I will try and take some more photos as these plants are all different but you can't tell with my shoddy photography.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Hi cotty, it appears to me you have all Spanish (or hybridised) bluebells there,with the possible exception of photo number 2. With the Spanish variety,the flower stem is vertical and tends not to droop over at the top...however photo 2 appears to be doing this which 'may' suggest the native bluebell.Also it is more blue,the Spanish is really lilac.My own bluebells are Spanish...

Your first picture looks a bit like an English native, but I think that the flowers don't all come from one side of the stem, and that they're not drooping enough.  This pic shows English native 

But as my earlier link says, the  colour of the pollen is the definitive difference, and the scent of course. 

As this link from the Natural History Museum states, "....The flowers are usually deep violet-blue but paler blue forms (rarely white and very rarely pink) do occur...." and I photographed one yesterday in the centre of a 125 hectare Ancient Woodland 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616

I also saw two solitary white specimens in the old bluebell wood. They were side hanging and identical in every other way to  the blue ones.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3