What have I done?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 331
Many of the leaves on one of my laurel bushes have holes in them - irregular shapes, not round and there has obviously been some chomping of the outside edges. After googling last night I decided it could be vine weevil. What did I do? In the dark? Rush out to the garage and prepare a litre of Provado vine weevil killer with which I watered the shrub. I know - very stupid. I realised this morning this product should only be used on plants in containers. I do hope someone will be able to assure me that I haven't done anything terrible. There is nothing planted very close to the laurel......

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

Just killed a few innocent parties Berkleyimage

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,827

And it won't kill the adults weevils any way. I have had one swimming in pure bleach without it dying.

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 331
    So why can the product only be used on plants in containers? My worry was that I would have contaminated the soil.....
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

Any flowering plants which grow in the area will take up the chemicals which will pass into the pollen.  It is thought that this contaminated pollen may be poisoning bees.

If I were in your position I would remove any flowers from any plants in the area this summer before they can be visited by bees.  

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

By the way, how high up were the damaged leaves?  Vine weevils don't fly ....... 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 511

They might not fly but they can certainly climb, I have found them 8 feet up a grape vine.

Approximately three feet, Dovefromabove....

Well, as Steephill says - they can climb - but I'd have thought they'd have preferred something nearer ground level and a bit softer than those tough brittle laurel leaves.  Are we sure it's vine weevil damage? 

Any pics?

Will take one as soon as it stops pouring with rain! Don't like the thunder either...

I like thunder image but rain during the day can be a nuisance image