Forum home Tools and techniques

Pruning plum tree

Hi

any advice on pruning this pl

um tree in attached photo.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,755

I'm not very good on pruning for shape, so will let someone else advise on that.  However, whatever you decide to do will need to wait til midsummer - pruning a plum now leaves it open to attack by silverleaf - which could do for it altogetherimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,066

I agree with chicky - don't prune it yet.  In the summer you should cut off (flush with the trunk) at least all of the lower branches circled in red:

If it were my tree, I'd also remove the branches circled in blue:

I'd also tie it to a stake using tree ties and try to train it into a more upright shape, but that could be difficult.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I wouldn't prune it at all, you're not growing for an team of pickers, what does it matter where the branches are, and why would you want a ladder to have to pick your fruit? I would be a bit bothered by the lean though, with a heavy crop all at the top of the tree you'll end up with the tree on the ground if you don't stake it or at least but it some ropes. I don't like tree stakes, they're for council estates to stop yobs snapping off your tree before it's grown thick enough to hang a 14 year old off.