Forum home Plants

Roses

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I,ve posted in planting in pots thread my concerns about rose replant sickness and planting my  new roses correctly and then realised I should have started a new thread,basically I,ve planted a rose where I just movedonefrom, that was only there a year,I did remove a bucketful of soil and replaced with compost and manure,and used ,microrrhizal funghi,art jack suggested I plant in cardboard box, is it worth digging up to plant in heavy brown paper? Nhaven,t got a box, also I did dig deep as I couldbut am struggling to load enough compost on to cover graft, I read it should be 10 cm, shall I try to pile more on? Always in a rush, and with my pint sized helper I was out over 2 hours yesterday!

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Forgot also thinking of planting nelly moser clematis a foot away-just from rose in replant site,it,s in full sun for around 4 hours at the moment, gets leaf shade from July though am really cutting back branches and leaves as fig tree taking over

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,814

I'm about to plant a rose very close to where we've dug out an old climbing rose.  I'm going to replace some of the soil (with some of the soil dug out when we dug the pond) and dig in loads of well-rotted farmyard manure and leaf mould, and use micorrhizal fungi on the roots - I will then cross my fingers and pray image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove I,m praying too,my little girl has been giving the rose we moved reiki! All it,s leaves have gone so I cut the all off and gave an extra feed and mulch,regarding the st swithun I pulled a,sucker, off sorry can,t find apostrophe on hubby.s iPAD, lady at David Austin said what you said dove that it probably earn,t so I,ve likely pulled a full healthy shoot off my rose,and it didn't,t flower well last year,wish I,d had chance to read yor reply first or just taken a bit more time,I,mvery. Naughty for rushing in mainly as I think if I don,t do it now I won,t get it done!

One of the advantages of getting on a bit I suppose, we don't rush quite as much as we used to image

I'm sure your St Swithun will send up some more good shoots image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove did you plant your rose? Mine looks ok, though every time I water the compost compacts and I think I,m going to need yet more , my husband will certainly want to know exactly how much more I, m going together through this year!have got a tiny bin but after a year I think conclusion is it,s too small to make decent compost. Let me know how yours does, what variety is your new one?

Hopefully I'll get it planted tomorrow - it's the Bonica I ordered some weeks back http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=944 

Dove just wanted to let you know my rose that was planted where i had one before looks good plenty of tiny new leaves, the moved one has also sprouted some tiny new ones too, am keeping fingers crossed all continues to grow well, is yours?

image  Haven't planted it yet - it's going up on a bank and OH rather wants to supervise when I do it in case I tumble down onto the terrace - and whenever he's been around I've been getting on with something else - I shall try to bump it up near the top of my To Do List image