Forum home Talkback

Hydrangea and slugs

Mazza10Mazza10 Posts: 3

Bought a very special hydrangea...nurtured in pot indoors until the frosts had passed then put it outside in large pot to develop. now I have had to bring it inside again as it being eaten by what I think must be slugs...as I suffer from a lot in our garden...have I diagnosed this right???

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Have you got a photo of the damage Mazza?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

When you identify the pest you will have to deal with it as the plant will not thrive indoors.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

My hydrangea last year was almost destroyed by slugs,  just coming back now,surrounded with hort.grit,eggshells and beer traps

• jayne 1jayne 1 Posts: 37

I have heard that copper tape is good. Slugs and snails apparently won't cross it. Try putting it round the top of your pot. I'm going to try it this year. Have been told they sell it in the pound shop too.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I bought two hydrangeas last year, A hydrangea pink frills and an H white frills . The "red frills" with red leaves seem ok, but the slugs are munching heavily on  the "white frills". I think the red leaves might not be  palatable to the slugs.  

I am about to try making chicken wire collars to frame around the base of the Hs  to deter the slugs . I might add the sheeps wool pellets inside. 

I am going for a Berlin wall job, mines, search lights and barbed wire and failing that I will try machine guns.  image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'