Geum?

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Good morning lovely gardening folk. Anyone out there know much about geums? My mum gave me a cutting from her garden last year and it was glorious in the flower bed. Lovely orange flowers. So muggins here took some cuttings in the autumn; well, not cuttings, but those sprigs just like strawberry plants produce? Sorry, the correct term escapes me! But I dug the 'sprigs' up, potted them on, and they've grown loads. However, my mum came over yesterday and we're not at all sure that they are geums! One had a tiny yellow flower on it. They look, well, a bit weedy! Do geums not come true from 'sprigs' or have I propagated a weed in error?! Any steer much appreciated! Thanks 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 12,849

Think it could be a geum....mrs Bradshaw......?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

Usually Geums are propagated by division Tootles. They don't really look like Geums to me image

I'm sure Verdun will know. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

That looks more like a buttercup to me I'm afraid image

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=784 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Tootles says one of them has a yellow flower though Edd so can't be a geranium, although the last pic does look a bit like geranium foliage. Hate to say - but it looks like a  buttercup to me image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Oh dear! What a plonker! I've been feeding them, watering them, tucking them up at night! I've had a look on the tin-ter-net and found these two photos.... Am I grasping at straws hoping for mrs Bradshaw above?? The little yellow flower looks just like the creeping buttercup below. Albeit, the leaves do look similar on both. Maybe if I can find out if geums have runners or not (that's the term I was trying to remember!)...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

That looks more like a buttercup to me I'm afraid image

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=784 

Sorry, I was trying to be tactful and break it gently to you ((hugs)) but it is DEFINITELY A BUTTERCUP. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,784

Hi Tootles,

I just went out to look at my two geums, one of whom is Mrs J Bradshaw (although I'm not sure which one) but I don't think yours looks much like either, soz. image

Not sure about the runners either as I only got mine last year...

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Heee heeee Dove. I hear you now! Thanks though, very much.

Thank goodness I now know. I was going to take some to the village gardening sale and charge 75p a pot! I'm a new member there.... could've been a very short membership!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,784

Everyone's done it though, haven't they? 

Well I have image

When you mentioned the runners like strawberries have - that was the giveaway Tootles!

Never mind. - you'll have the healthiest buttercups in Britain image