'With added John Innes'

I've been buying compost today. I understood John Innes to be a formula for compost which makes it suitable for either seed sowing, cuttings, mature plants etc, and it had a corresponding number I.e. John Innes number 3.

When I was shopping for compost, some of the bags said on them 'with added John Innes'. What does this mean? What number John Innes and how can it just be added to other compost? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,992

I think it means very little, possibly some loam in it.

Or maybe poor old John has been recycledimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,578

nut - that's a great image I have in my head now!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,122

What it probably means is that they have added some of the J.I. base fertiliser. It actually means nothing at all since John Innes refers to a set of recipes devised for different composts.

• PoddingtonPPoddingtonP Posts: 196

Berghill, that's what I though about the recipes.

So its basically just a marketing ploy image.  

Yep

But to justify it they will take some JI compost of whatever sort they can get cheap and put a little in each mix

And in homeopathic proportions presumably.

Unless they've got some they want to get rid of, yes

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Who was john Innes?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,564

Snoodle - the John Innes Centre is your neighbour!!!

http://www.jic.ac.uk/corporate/index.htm 

My understanding is that when something has 'added John Innes' it has a compound fertiliser added to the compost, to the formulation prescribed for John Innes composts.

However, as stated here http://www.johninnes.info/about.htm this was a formulation developed for use with loam - it is not necessarily in the right proportions for non-loam composts. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the info everyone, I did wonder whether it meant it was loam based rather than peat based.