Forum home Talkback

Can anyone identify this invader?

MP2MP2 Posts: 25

Hi

Does anyone know what this is? It has appeared in my garden and is growing very fast!

Thanks!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

It may be Ground Elder?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453

I know we usually ask for close-ups, but can we have a look at the whole plant too this time please, including the growing tip 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MP2MP2 Posts: 25

It has a woody stalk like a small tree and green 'stubbly' new branches. Here is a close-up of the tip. I have seen this growing on the hedge areas of the golf course as well.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Young Ash tree(s) or elder.  Either way, best dig it out while you still can (unless you want a big tree there.)  As mentioned above, tricky to give 100% positive ID as the pic is a bit small and we need to see the growing point at the top.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Just saw the new image - Elder for me.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I think it's Elderberry too. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Can they appear suddenly like this - perhaps spread by birds droppings?

Thanks all, I'll probably dig it out and try to transplant it to a bare back wall - according to google elder/elderberry is quite nice in flower and when it has berries.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    It gets horrible amounts of blackfly.

The flowers are good for making cordial and wine, and the berries also make a good red wine if you're into making such things.

However there are some more attractive forms for the garden - http://search.millcreeknursery.ca/11050005/Plant/10051/Golden_Glow_Elder 

and http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/sambucus/black-lace-elderberry-sambucus-nigra are two well known ones, which also flower and fruit if you don't cut them hard back every year. 

The wild form, which you have, can be a bit of a thug.